Sunday, May 6, 2012

Ulterior Motive & #HOPE

alt

 

I have re-written this piece three times so far, every-time I end up erasing everything and I start all over again, I begin writing and then feel like I'm still missing a lot of what I want to and need to say.
The only thing that I didn't change is the title, because I really do have an ulterior motive to writing this piece.

I joined Twitter when the Tunisian revolution erupted, I was away from home, away from the Middle East, thousands of kilometers away, I was in Canada and I never felt more distant than home as I did at that time.
Twitter was my outlet of news, foreign media is never sufficient for an Arab, specifically a Palestinian, I grew up with the sound of news reporters in the background, it was an inseparable part of my life and still is.

I began to follow greatly everything Palestine, I remember the first time I searched using the #Palestine hashtag, I will actually never forget, It was just as news was breaking of the kidnapping of Vittorio Arrigoni.

I didn't know who Vittorio was and I'm saddened by that fact, that I never really knew him until he was kidnapped and later killed, I can't begin to describe how much he inspired me.

Vittorio was residing in Gaza, I turned to one of my first followers ever and began to ask questions, little did I know that we would become good friends. It was Nader from Gaza whom it seems everybody on twitter knows.

Nader followed me probably within a few days of joining Twitter, he would answer my questions relating to anything, at that time I was still trying to understand everything in Twitter and he helped me a lot, he recommended people to follow, who later became friends, I learned a lot about Gaza from him and his personal experience, our relationship moved from being two people that follow each-other on Twitter, to two friends that are yet to meet as weird as it might sound.
Whenever an attack was taking place in Gaza, Nader would be one of the first to break the news, even amidst all the bombings, explosions, death and grief, Nader like many others from Gaza proved their resistance and strength with their smallest weapon at hand, their tweets.

Nader Elkhuzundar {@ImNadz}, holds a BSc Management Information Systems (MIS) degree with an 83.48 percent GPA from the University of Palestine, he has resided in Gaza ever-since he was a child, after graduating from university, Nader attempted to secure a job and pursue higher education but the siege doesn't make anything in Gaza simple or easy, unemployment is at record highs and there really isn't much to do except work whatever job you can find.

Nader is currently raising funds to go to London and study for his Masters.

He has had to create a campaign to raise these funds, in which people from all over the world supported and donated him with whatever they can, the campaign is rightfully titled #HOPE.

a fellow columnist at The Palestine Telegraph, we both received the position at the same time, which was a very wonderful surprise and I urge you to read his writing and see the effort he puts in.
 

Here is what some of Nader's friends had to say about him and his campagin.

{@BDS4Justice}- is a tweet-activist and one in real life. A resident of occupied Jerusalem, he works with others to liberate Palestine.

As a friend can you tell us, how you met and why you want people to help his #HOPE campaign?


“We met at a cafe, I was impressed at how witty and outspoken Nader was. Getting to know him more closely throughout the months, showed me a different side to him. Nader is a heartwarming, trustworthy friend. I see much potential in him and a bright future.
The siege has dashed his hopes for a better education but thanks to the support of many around the world this is a possibility again. Help Nader realize his dreams.”

{@Widgitt} – Is currently studying Global Studies in Chicago, highly involved with various organizations working for justice in Palestine.

Describe your relationship with Nader and how it came to be? and what do you think about his #HOPE campaign?

“Well when I joined Twitter I would constantly see Nader being retweeted onto my time-line. I had originally joined Twitter to keep up with everything that had been going down in Egypt back in January 2011, Nader was the first person I followed from Gaza. although I followed him I had never really had a conversation with him, I just kept up with the news he would send out of Gaza, our first conversation was actually about Apple products, he helped me figure something out on my Mac Book, but I can say our friendship was born in November, when Nader agreed to Skype into one of our SJP meetings at my university. while preparing for the event I got to know Nader a little more so I could write up a mini bio on him, after the session with Nader we continued talking. Our relationship in the beginning was strictly professional, but then we became friends in a way I don't think many people can understand, I think I could safely describe our relationship as the relationship of siblings, we are both there for each other when we need to vent, but we also disagree on a lot of things and sometimes we are just plain silly. But Nader is like an older brother, although he might not be trying to, he teaches me new things everyday and has helped me appreciate life and to never give up on my dreams.

His HOPE campaign is more than just giving Higher Opportunities for Palestinian Education. its a campaign that is LITERALLY for hope, not just for Nader and his family but for us all! Having been there with Nader from the moment he started the application process to the present has personally given me Hope. seeing his persistence and seeing the dedication of people all around the world getting together to do something good for a positive change in the world has given me hope and I believe it gives everyone hope in their own dreams. all the drones, sieges, and separation walls and occupations of the world can not get in the way of our dreams. where there is a will there is always a way. His campaign makes me hope that more people in similar situations as Nader will be inspired to do the same and not to give up.”

{Diana Shuman} - Diana is the co-editor of The Palestine Telegraph.

What drew you as an editor to Nader & why did you select him to become a columnist at The Paltelegraph?

“Nader is a brilliant writer. He has a rare quality to his writing that draws emotions from even the most hardened soul. I feel as if exposure and practice through the Palestine telegraph will refine his style and the fact that he is on the ground in Gaza, allows us a little heard voice and view.”

{@SamiKishawi} – is currently studying Health Sciences in Chicago, he also runs the highly popular Sixteen Minutes To Palestine.

You met Nader in Gaza during your latest visit, Did you know him prior and what can you tell us about Nader? What drives you to support his #HOPE campaign?

“Before I visited the Gaza Strip, I had only known Nader through Twitter. My impression of him was one of great admiration. He was proactive in his pursuit of higher education, he was politically-conscious, and he was tremendously inviting. He made Gaza seem like home.

When I finally met Nader in Gaza City last summer, I will admit, he was much shorter than I expected. But in all seriousness, his friendliness and inviting demeanor shined through. He toured me through parts of Gaza, teaching me the ins and outs of everyday life in this besieged territory. What left a lasting mark, however, was his sheer intelligence. He is extremely talented both with his hands and his mind. He's known around Gaza as being the go-to person for anything computer-related or Apple-related. And his proficiency in both the English and Arabic languages allows him to relate the stories of life in Gaza when others can't.

I pledge my full support for his campaign because he's worked hard to get to where he is now. He's earned an opportunity to pursue his goals---goals that, due to Israel's suffocating occupation and siege---are never easily fulfilled. Nader has the potential to make big things happen. He's independent and will find a way for this to work out. But for now, the least I can do is support him on his path.”


For over a month now, me and a couple of activists have been using the G+ hangout feature to video chat with each-other, Nader joins us every-time and just seeing him day after day we all have more hope in him than the day before, even when things might be rough and tough, he always manages to smiles and make the others smile as-well.

Nader is a symbol of HOPE.

If you want to donate and learn more about Nader, Please visit http://shopper.indiegogo.com/HOPE-Higher-Opportunities-for-Palestinian-Education.

My ulterior motive is that I want you to donate #HOPE.


{*Photo Courtesy of : Widgitt}

{Author: Yasir M. Tineh / Click Here To Visit Blog}

Twitter: @YasirTineh

Source: http://www.paltelegraph.com/palestine/gaza-strip/10553-ulterior-motive-a-hope.html

Protest Iran Everton Xabi Alonso Snowboarding Guantánamo Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment