Thursday, February 3, 2011

Unions declare ?national crisis,? workers reject Hiro?s proposal

page1a214Condemn intimidation tactics, will meet again today�

PHILIPSBURG--Three unions representing teachers and civil servants on Thursday declared a "national crisis" as they intensified efforts for government to address the grievances of their members.

The unions' declaration came after an estimated 260 teachers and civil servants, who had met with them during work hours on Thursday, rejected Finance Minister Hiro Shigemoto's proposal made during a meeting with the unions on Wednesday. The workers will meet again at John Larmonie Centre this morning at 7:30am.

At a joint press conference yesterday, Windward Islands Teachers Union (WITU), ABVO union and the Windward Islands Civil Servants Union/Private Sector Union (WICSU/PSU) condemned reports of union busting tactics and intimidation reported by some of their members on Wednesday. "This is a national crisis," said WITU President Claire Elshot. "We feel strongly that laws should be put in place to protect our workers."

The three unions encouraged all civil servants and teachers to attend the meeting in large numbers today. The details of the counterproposal will be finalised today and it will be ratified and sent to the Minister. The Minister will be given an ultimatum with a time frame within which Shigemoto should respond to the union. Elshot said the length of the ultimatum will be determined today.

The workers had been meeting with their union from 7:30am and left when the meeting ended after the joint press conference around 5:00pm. When the union representatives were asked whether the meetings would continue until their demands were met, the group of workers at John Larmonie Centre at the time responded by shouting in unison, "Yes, yes, yes."

"Our members have spoken clearly," Elshot said, adding that workers would like government to live up to the earlier agreement and pay them their full 5.3 per cent cost of living adjustment. The Council of Ministers and Parliament changed the agreement and decided to split the payment for teachers to receive 2 per cent this year and 3.3 per cent in 2012. It had been taken as a measure to balance the 2011 budget. National Alliance (NA) did not vote for the split when it had been tabled as part of the budgetary measures in Parliament.

Elshot said the unions received reports of intimidation, with some workers being told that they would be fired on the spot if they skipped work. She said the unions would not accept this. She said they would make use of their regional and international partners and connections to protect their members from intimidation and to uphold their rights to meet as is enshrined under the International Labour Organisation (ILO) conventions that govern the rights of workers.

Education International, Caribbean Union of Teachers, Caribbean Public Services Association and Public Service International were some of the organisations that the union representatives said intimidation would be reported to. They said that Country St. Maarten has to start acting like a country.

The various school boards will be informed about today's meeting, so that teachers and civil servants can be allowed to attend.

United People's (UP) Member of Parliament (MP) Romain Laville and National Alliance (NA) MP George Pantophlet addressed the workers during their meeting yesterday and expressed solidarity with them.

WICSU/PSU General Secretary Juliette Greene-Blijden said the meetings were a joint initiative and the three unions ere in solidarity with each other. She said Country St. Maarten was sold to the people as an improvement, but she noted "what we are seeing are austerity measures," which she said the unions reject.

ABVO Adviser Sjaoel Richardson said his union is in "total support" of the exercise.

Elshot said contrary to reports from Shigemoto, WITU did not learn about the 5.3 per cent cost of living adjustment split until January 14 and not in December as Shigemoto had stated.

Richardson said WICSU/PSU had sent Shigemoto a letter in November, requesting to be part of the cost cutting discussions. He said the union had anticipated that issues were likely to arise. The Minister had not responded to the union's request, Richardson said.

Source: http://www.thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/12991-unions-declare-national-crisis-workers-reject-hiros-proposal-.html

Kevin Campbell CVs Russell Brand Mervyn King Oscars Niclas Alexandersson

Iran: Egypt uprising serves Islamic countries

An Iranian minister stated on Tuesday the demonstrations in Egypt will help create an "Islamic Middle East". "With the knowledge that I have of the great revolutionary and history making people of Egypt, I am sure they will play their role in creating an Islamic Middle East for all freedom, justice and independence seekers," Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi was quoted as saying on state television's website.

Salehi noted the uprising in Egypt "showed the need for a change in the region and the end of unpopular regimes."

Egypt
� 2011 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

read more

Source: http://www1.albawaba.com/main-headlines/iran-egypt-uprising-serves-islamic-countries

Hacking Documentary Stan Collymore West Bromwich Albion Arsenal Alex Reid

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Disruption likely today at schools, Govt offices

page1a213Teachers, civil servants to 'meet' during school, work hours�

PHILIPSBURG--School classes and services at government offices are likely to be disrupted today, Thursday, as teachers and civil servants plan to hold an "urgent" and "very important" session with their unions starting at 7:30am.

The workers will be discussing a proposal made by Finance Minister Hiro Shigemoto in a meeting with representatives of the Windward Islands Teachers Union (WITU), ABVO civil servants union and Windward Islands Civil Servants Union/Private Sector Union (WICSU/PSU) on Wednesday.

WITU President Claire Elshot told The Daily Herald Wednesday night all members of WITU, ABVO and WICSU/PSU have been asked to attend the meeting at John Larmonie Centre.

Teachers and civil servants, including some Immigration officers, gathered outside the Government Administration Building Wednesday in a silent demonstration in support of WITU, ABVO and WICSU/PSU representatives who were meeting with Shigemoto on some of their grievances. Two teachers were seen with placards bearing the words "We are humans too," and "It's our money and we want it now," matching occasional chants.

Elshot told this newspaper Wednesday night that the minister had been asked to submit his proposal in writing. It will be used as a basis for today's discussions.

The union was originally set to meet its members late yesterday at the WIFOL building, but that meeting could not take place, as the Pelican workers were already in a meeting with their union there. WITU attempted to meet its members in the parking lot, but mosquito-like insects called midges disrupted the meeting.

Proposal

Shigemoto told the unions he was not in a position to grant the workers' request to pay their full cost-of-living adjustment in February, as the decision to split the previously agreed payment over two years had been "passed" by the Council of Ministers and by the St. Maarten Parliament.

Elshot said Shigemoto had told the union that Parliament's decision cannot be changed because he was still awaiting approval of the budget from the Committee for Financial Supervision CFT, which was expected around February 17.

The 5.3 per cent payment, which had to be paid in full this year, was split to help cover a deficit in the 2011 budget. In keeping with the split, workers would be paid two per cent this year and 3.3 per cent in 2012 ? an arrangement over which the workers and their unions are in uproar.

Elshot told the workers their Parliamentarians, a number of whom were in the crowd, had voted for the split in the payment. Several National Alliance (NA) Members of Parliament (MPs), including Hyacinth Richardson, were quick to point out that the NA had voted firmly against the 2011 budget that contained the changes to split the cost-of-living adjustment for the workers.

United People's (UP) party MP Romain Laville told reporters after the meeting that he did not have all the information at hand and that he would gather information on it. He said it was time to take the business of the people seriously (see related story).

Elshot said Shigemoto had told the union it could approach him again in four to six months to see whether the additional 3.3 could be paid earlier than 2012. This announcement from Elshot drew a sharp reaction from the gathering of workers, who shouted, "No, no, no!"

"Can we stay home for six months?" one worker asked.

"Can the minister pay my loan at WIB?" shouted another.

Elshot said the union had not been notified by government that "our pockets will be pickpocketed" before the decision had been taken to breach the agreement to pay the adjustment. She said the other Dutch islands were not experiencing "austerity measures" like those to which workers in St. Maarten were being subjected.

The union was told that the two per cent adjustment had been incorporated into the salaries of teachers and would be paid along with their January salaries this Friday.

The union had also requested that the Department of Salary and Wages be supplied, within one week, with personnel from within the internal government structure to fill the critical vacancies, to speed up the processing of wages and the changes to the wages of the workers in a timely fashion starting February.

Shigemoto said during yesterday's meeting that someone was already being trained for this department, Elshot said. He considered this point "carried."

On the issue of overtime, the Elshot said the minister had informed the union that workers would not be paid for overtime taken without the expressed consent of the Secretaries General of their ministries. Elshot advised the workers not to take overtime without first informing their bosses. "Don't take it upon yourself to work overtime," she said.

The unions had requested that Government "respect the laws" on overtime and that those workers from the Salary and Wages Department and all other departments who had worked overtime in December 2010 be duly compensated for their work based on provisions in the law.

On the issue of vacation allowance, Elshot said the minister had informed the union that the six per cent vacation allowance would be paid in June. The union had requested that the vacation allowance be paid to all workers in the second half of June based on the minister's letter to the unions dated January 23.

Elshot also updated members on the automatic compensation to be paid to those in salary scales equal to those in the teaching profession, based on the fact that the performance management evaluations had not been done with all civil servants in all departments.

Workers present were not too pleased with the minister's proposal. Several of them said they were not satisfied with the outcome of the meeting.

Source: http://www.thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/12938-disruption-likely-today-at-schools-govt-offices-.html

Manchester United Shola Ameobi Hacking Documentary Stan Collymore West Bromwich Albion

Jumblatt supports the Resistance and Syria

Hala Najjar- The international community did not favor a Saudi-Syrian agreement, which stipulated an end to the Lebanese commitment to STL...MP Walid Jumblatt holds a press conference following the Democratic Gathering meeting.. As the decisive factor in the coming nomination for prime minister, PSP leader Walid Jumblatt announced his decision to side with the opposition and the resistance. The Druze leader announced his support and endorsement to the Arab initiative as a solution to the Lebanese current crisis, and said that all political parties in Lebanon have accepted the Saudi-Syrian initiative until some international powers sought to obstruct the Arab proposal.�"The Special Tribunal for Lebanon took a turn to become politicized par excellence; consequently, it has become a threat to national unity and security; it strayed from the path of justice and became a tool of blackmail, a tool of destruction; Leaks in Arabic and international newspapers confirmed that the STL is politicized and became a tool of blackmail.? Jumblatt said. ?An agreement was signed by Syrian President Bashar Assad, Hezbollah Secretary General Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah and Lebanon's Prime Minister Saad Hariri and The Saudi-Syrian initiative calls against cooperating with the STL; however, the international community did not favor a Saudi-Syrian agreement, which stipulated an end to the Lebanese commitment to STL, an end to the cooperation protocol, the halt of the funding and calling the Lebanese judges in The Hague. This could lead to a Lebanese-Lebanese agreement deterring the doing of the tribunal and its indictment that is already known through media outlets.??According to my previous stance questioning the STL?s work, it is mandatory for me and my party?s historical positions against foreign alliance to declare my party?s stance siding with Syria and the Resistance,? he announced. Jumblatt explained his decision by saying ?My position in the middle, which aimed to connect with all parties, and the refusal of powers for the Arab initiative are the reasons behind my decision; which I hope will help regain stability and resort to dialogue.?The PSP leader refused Hariri?s statement and said, ?I respond to Hariri who said yesterday that he is prone to being politically assassinated. I reject such talks. No party in Lebanon can eliminate the other; I reject as well the opposition's statement that said that the phase preceding the indictment, (post-indictment), is not the same as the one after it.?Jumblatt extended his thanks to Saudi King Abdullah bin Abdel Aziz, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan and Qatari Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani for their efforts to solve the political crisis in Lebanon. ?I commend the efforts of President Michel Suleiman as well, who sought until the last minute to reach a settlement,? he said.The Druze leader heads a bloc of�eleven deputies in the Lebanese parliament, among them five Christians and a Sunni; Opposition sources told An-Nahar that Jumblatt had made up his mind, last night and he has informed�the opposition that he supports its candidate with no less than seven MPs. March 14 sources confirmed the news to the daily.Seven MPs would allow the opposition to impose their candidate for the premiership; according to newspapers the opposition candidate for the premiership is former PM Omar Karami and reportedly accepted the nomination. The parliamentary consultations will be held next Monday, January 24 in Baabda Palace.

Source: http://www.tayyar.org/Tayyar/News/PoliticalNews/en-US/Jumblatt-supports-resistance-against-Hariri-hn-1.htm

Cheltenham festival Andrew Cole Nepal David Lynch Television industry Cricket

Egypt: New cabinet sworn in

Egypt's State TV on Monday announced that President Hosni Mubarak has sworn in a new cabinet. In an important change, the infamous interior minister was replaced. A retired police general, Mahmoud Wagdi, was named to replace Habib el-Adly. 

Mubarak has retained his long-serving defense minister, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, and his foreign minister Ahmed Aboul Gheit. 

Riots against Mubarak
� 2011 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

read more

Source: http://www1.albawaba.com/main-headlines/egypt-new-cabinet-sworn

Waste Housing market English Defence League Radio 4 Conservatives Christmas and New Year

WIFOL may take court action in Pelican saga

PHILIPSBURG--Workers Institute for Organised Labour (WIFOL) has announced that it may take legal action to bring about a resolution to the Pelican saga.

WIFOL President Theophilus Thompson told The Daily Herald last night that the union would be discussing taking "everyone" involved in the saga to court.

"We will pursue a court injunction against everyone to resolve this matter. The workers are employed permanently as of December 16 by the new owners. The new management company are the ones who have been managing the resort and giving employees instructions and paying the employees," he said.

Contending that management's latest action to send the workers home was a form of "mental slavery," Thompson added: "Management has gone too far [and are acting] as if the workers have no rights. I don't understand how government can issue a business licence without conditions especially protecting the rights of the employees.

"We will pursue this matter. The uncertainty and stress that workers had to go through over these weeks is a form of mental slavery and it's been very stressful and it has to stop now.

"We have a meeting with our attorney tomorrow [today, Wednesday] and that will be our suggestion, because the workers' rights have been trampled upon and violated by everyone who had to do with the business licensing and employment of the workers and with the company saying that they have applied to pay off workers via the Labour Office.

"The workers are permanently employed and working for the new owner since December 16. They paid them everything ? from salaries to Christmas bonus. They tried to force workers into submission. Almost every week the workers are being told if they don't give up their rights they will not be allowed to work. This is continuous intimidation of the employees, which is psychological slavery, and this cannot continue."

Source: http://www.thedailyherald.com/islands/1-islands-news/12888-wifol-may-take-court-action-in-pelican-saga.html

Winter sports North Korea Tim Cahill Christmas Mikel Arteta Julian Assange

Egyptians call President Mubark to leave the country

Despite promises for reforms announced by President Hosni Mubarak during the past week, the popular revolt escalated on Tuesday as thousands of civilians gathered and called for his departure. From the early morning hours, protesters began to arrive in Tahrir Square in preparation for what they called the "Protest of the Millions."

Egypt rally
� 2011 Al Bawaba (www.albawaba.com)

read more

Source: http://www1.albawaba.com/main-headlines/egyptians-call-president-mubark-leave-country

Russia England rugby union team Alliance & Leicester India Iain Chambers Banks and building societies